Monday 26 April 2010

UPDATE: Interview with independent candidate...


Interview with Rodney Cann, independent candidate for North Devon in 2010 general election.


IN THIS EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:“I’m not big on promises; I prefer action. I feel that I have made a difference in North Devon”/ “I’m probably one of the most high-profile councillors in North Devon. I think I can win”/ “I feel it’s time for someone who is free to vote in the best interests of North Devon”/
Question: How and why did you become involved in politics?
I was invited by a Conservative agent many years ago to stand in a no-hope seat, Fremington, for the council. I’d always fancied my chances at fighting an election and I won it.I found that politics can get into your system, it can get into your blood, or people totally reject and are glad to get out.I’ve really enjoyed being engaged in local politics. I’m not big on promises; I prefer action. I feel that I have made a difference in North Devon.

Question: Why would anyone vote for someone who has no realistic chance of winning?
There has never been a better opportunity for an independent to stand and win an election, particularly one that’s got a reputation for getting things done. I’m probably one of the most high-profile councillors in North Devon. I think I can win.
I think are particularly fed-up with all the sleaze and frankly the cynical promises of the party political candidates.
Every election they appear out of the woodwork, make all kinds of promises, then four or five years later making the same promises, trying to send out the same messages.
I feel it’s time for someone who is free to vote in the best interests of North Devon, not following the party line and that’s such a positive thing at this time.T
here’s a very real threat of a hung parliament and someone like me could well hold significant influence.As for no hope, I think my campaign will be a first class campaign.

Question: You have been a lifelong Conservative. Will your standing simply not make it harder for the Conservative candidate to win because you will draw votes from him?
I would urge people to vote on the experience and record of the candidate.I have always been a Conservative but I’ve never considered myself to be a bigoted Conservative. I will take the decisions that are in the interests of North Devon rather than the political party and that has always been my stance.

Question: Would you feel bad if Nick Harvey (Lib Dem) won on 1,000 votes that Philip Milton (Cons) might have got?
I believe in the democratic process. I believe in the first past the post system and people should make their choice for the candidate that will best serve the interests of North Devon, regardless of political party.

Question: Looking at your policies, you are not tied by any party, but they seem to a few similarities with the Conservative outlook. What are the clear differences between you and the Conservatives in terms of policy?
I’m fighting on my record and on the best interests of North Devon.I’m fighting on the fact North Devon has always been a poor relation.
Usually governments are geared up to look after the interests of the inner city areas and don’t pay enough regard to rural areas and the particular problems we have.
They don’t take into account rural sparsity. In Devon we spend about £23million a year on school transport and the average funding of pupils is £400 per head less than the national average. That’s a deplorable state of affairs.
There’s no specific recognition of the fact we have a high number of elderly people in North Devon.I’m dismayed at the hypocrisy of the Conservatives.
For weeks they have been lambasting the Labour Party on not taking a rigid enough stand to cut our national debt. It seems to me they have changed their public relations and have started to make us all kinds of promises, extra money for married people, not cutting the NI, I find it so cynical.I find it truly remarkable when they produce Mr Gershon out of the woodwork and say we can save Xbillion by finding efficiencies.
This has been a policy of local government for the last two years at least. Already in social services and education are screaming out for more money.

Question: Public perception of MPs is perhaps at an all-time low after the expenses scandal. What will you do to improve that?
If ever there was a time for North Devon to be represented by a strong independent voice, it’s now.Many of our MPs have let us down.We have to reform and strengthen our democracy and restore trust.People are looking for a genuine change and I think I can provide that.

Question: The other side of the coin is the argument that you wouldn’t have the power of the big parties behind you and you could end up being marginalised or ignored?
I would put the opposite argument. I think it gives me the freedom to break through any party political posturing and work in the best interests of North Devon. I feel people like myself could well be at a premium in the parliament and hold the balance of power.

Question: During the campaign there have been various competing claims such as “less waste”, “more fairness”, “more change”. Are not these sort of claims rather vacuous because no could seriously argue for the opposite, “more waste” for example?
Since time immemorial candidates have been coming and saying “we’re going to solve the problems”, “we’re going to cut that”, and what do you find? Five years on you’re in the same situation. We need a radical re-think. We need new blood in there and we need people who are capable of taking on the establishment and making a difference.

Question: There is this endless to-ing and fro-ing about cutting waste in the public sector. Parties always promise to cut waste at election time and it never seems to happen does it?
You can’t spend what you haven’t got. We have been living on borrowed time since North Sea oil was found.
We have got an economy that has been financial and service led and we have allowed our manufacturing industry to be sold off or fall away.We were promised we would have a new technical revolution, and the reverse has occurred.
As the third world countries have taken on conventional manufacturing it has gone hand in hand with the white heat of technical evolution, so we’ve lost in all ways.
Until we start restoring our manufacturing base we are on a no-win situation.We’ve got to look at education and recognise that not everybody has to go to university.

Question: On the economy, there is a fear being voiced that cutting the public sector and taxes could lead to a worsening recession. What are your views?
I don’t think we’re in a position to start cutting taxes. We have to look for more efficient ways of working. There are many that can be achieved. In local government for example there is so much political correctness being forced on us from Europe.
Some health and safety is important but it’s being taken to the extreme. There are hundreds of millions being spent on local authorities examining themselves every year.
I believe there are far too many councils, far too many highly-paid senior officers and that needs to be looked at.

Question: There seems to be quite a bit of overlap between your views and with UKIP?
My philosophy is we are a part of Europe and we should be partners and be allies but Europe must not be our masters. I don’t think it’s realistic to withdraw but I do think we sold out to Europe too cheaply.

Question: We’ve had a lot of talk from Labour about cutting poverty and inequality and they claim their measures such as Sure Start, tax credits, minimum wages, spending on education, has helped. Do you share that view?
Sure Start has certainly been a success but I wonder if this is the way forward, does it provide the value?Does the solve the fundamental problems of poverty in our communities, especially rural communities? I don’t think it does; I think it puts a sticking plaster on it.
The reality is we need to create a vibrant economy with job opportunities. Yes, we’ve got to have compassion, but sometimes we’re too keen to put a sticking plaster on.

Question: What would be another way of tackling poverty?
North Devon is well placed to take advantage of the economic upturn. There is geographic disadvantage for manufacturers and distribution.
I think the one realistic thing we ought to be looking for is to upgrade the Tarka Line to transport goods.We have the opportunity to provide a diverse and prosperous economy. We have opportunities in many areas, but it requires drive and leadership.Agriculture still has a major role to play.
The fishing industry is often overlooked but its contribution to Ilfracombe alone was over £1million in the last report I received.Sustainable tourism.
We have the opportunity to promote three types: the traditional family beach holiday; exploration holidays; and farm-based holidays.
Industry. Local government has a role in providing service land to attract business.
We must play on the fact this is a very desirable area in which to live and work.We have good training resources at Petroc.We must take advantage of the fact we have some of the highest tidal flows in the world to encourage renewable energy research and development.

Question: Affordable housing. How could you help local people to get decent homes to own or rent?
One of the problems we have is much of the land we would use for housing is on brownfield sites in the Barnstaple floodplain. I believe it is a defeatist attitude to ignore these sites because of the long-term threat of flooding.

Question: Many people are saying that climate change is the biggest threat facing humanity. Do you agree with that view and what’s your view of people who say that claims about climate change is a “conspiracy” or a “con”?
I think we would be very foolish to ignore what is happening around us but I’m not entirely convinced that it is not the natural phase of the Earth, I think it might be a bit of both.
I have yet to see evidence that it isn’t partly due to the natural cycles of the Earth. Having said that I play my part as far as recycling. I’m committed to a reduction in carbon output and recycling and wasting the resources on our Earth, which are limited.

Question: What can you point to from your many years as a councillor and say: that’s an achievement?
One thing I’m particularly proud of is the Fremington Quay project. It was an old Victorian quay and half of it had fallen into the river. I came up the idea of a restoration project and everyone said “that’s a great idea” and I’m sure they thought I was quite mad so they gave me a free hand.So we raised £750,000 and that quay and centre has been a major success. We have something like 160,000 visitors a year.

Question: How will electing you improve the lives of people in North Devon?
I think the first thing is I would like to see us receive the same recognition in North Devon as the urban areas.I would like to be able to say we have achieved something for Ilfracombe; they’ve been living on empty promises for so many years now.
The other thing is I would like to be able to look back and say we have achieved a buoyant economy. Yes, we have started to dig into our housing problems.
But no we have not destroyed countryside or the character of North Devon.The joint core strategy (planning document) will change North Devon and it will never be the same again.
We have to look carefully at the amount of development that is being forced on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment